Declaration of Principles
A profession is distinguished by certain characteristics or attributes, including:
- Mastery of a particular intellectual skill through education and training
- Acceptance of a duty to a broader society than merely to one’s clients/employers; Objectivity; and
- High standards of conduct and performance.
We base our professional principles, therefore, on the fundamental value and dignity of the individual. We believe in and support the free exercise of human rights, especially freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, and freedom of the media, which are essential to the practice of good public relations. In serving the interest of clients and employers, we dedicate ourselves to the goals of better communication, understanding, and cooperation among diverse individuals, groups, and institutions of society. We also subscribe to, and, support equal opportunity of employment in the public relations profession and in lifelong professional development.
- To conduct ourselves professionally, with integrity, truth, accuracy, fairness, and responsibility to our clients, our client public’s, and to an informed society;
- To improve our individual competence and advance the knowledge and proficiency of the profession through continuing education and research and, where available, through the pursuit of professional accreditation; and
- To adhere to the principles of the Code of Professional Standards for the Practice of Public Relations.
CODE OF PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS
We are committed to ethical practices, preservation of public trust, and the pursuit of communication excellence along with powerful standards of performance, professionalism, and ethical conduct. Advocacy
We will serve our client and employer interests by acting as responsible advocates and by providing a voice in the marketplace of ideas, facts, and viewpoints to aid informed public debate. Honesty
We adhere to the highest standards of accuracy and truth in advancing the interests of clients and employers.
We will conduct our business with integrity and observe the principles and spirit of the Code so that our own personal reputation and that of our employer, and the public relations profession in general, is protected.
We will encourage members to acquire and responsibly use specialized knowledge and experience to build understanding and client/employer credibility. Furthermore, we will actively promote and advance the profession through continued professional development, research, and education.
We will insist that members are faithful to those they represent, while honoring their obligations to serve the interests of society and support the right of free expression.
CODE OF PRACTICE
We believe it is the duty of every association and every member within that association that is party to the Code of Professional Standards to:
- Acknowledge that there is an obligation to protect and enhance the profession.
- Keep informed and educated about practices in the profession that ensure ethical conduct.
- Actively pursue personal professional development.
- Accurately define what public relations activities can and cannot accomplish.
- Counsel its individual members in proper ethical decision-making generally, and on a case specific basis.
- Require that individual members observe the ethical recommendations and behavioral requirements of the Code.